“In meditation, healing can happen. When the mind is calm, alert and totally contented, then it is like a laser beam – it is very powerful and healing can happen.” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
How the Mind Influences Healing
Perfect health is more than just the optimal functioning of the body’s systems. Since the mind, body, emotions and spirit are aspects of the same, you can use meditation for healing to awaken all of your inner healing capacities and enable them to work together to create perfect health.
You may have heard that at the root of all illness and disease is the mind; that negative thoughts and emotions interfere with the free flow of life energy. This is true, even when an external forces such as bacteria or viruses are attacking the body. There is a constant interaction between the human body and external forces, but your mindset plays a huge role in whether you will succumb to illness or not; and if you do, how fast and how thoroughly you will recover.
Your immune system isn’t just a physical function, it is mental, as well. So the mind must be managed in order to give your body the best possible chances when it comes to dealing with pathogens, and in repairing itself and restoring health and harmony.
Always keep in mind, no matter how terrible you feel physically, a positive state of mind will positively impact the body. Of course this works in reverse too, which is why it is so easy to sink into an emotional funk if you are feeling physically unwell. But – if you can master the mind, you can improve the condition of your body!
Meditation will help master the mind as well as unblock stagnant energy in the chakras, allowing the life force energy to flow freely. Stress is an important contributor to disease, and in some cases a direct cause. Relieving persistent anxiety, worry, fear, anger and hopelessness will help set the wheels of healing in motion.
The Power of Thoughts and Emotions
Let’s talk about the power of thoughts and emotions. You can think of your thoughts and emotions as either healing, or as pollution. Your emotions and thoughts affect the people around you as well as your own health. You may think you’re the only one who is feeling your sadness – but you are radiating that energy and you affect everything around you. It’s important to be aware of your negative thought patterns and habits and the effects they have.
You may not be aware of how YOU impact the world, but you are certainly aware of how your state of mind is affected when you hear negativity spoken by people around you; and in turn, how your reaction to their words affects your health. You decide, consciously or not, whether a person’s negativity will affect your state of mind. But it’s not just words – it’s the person’s ‘vibe’ that you feel.
Take two approaches to use meditation for healing, in this order:
1. Awareness. Any undesirable condition you are experiencing means there is negative energy somewhere in your energy field. You can do a self-assessment by focusing your awareness on each chakra. Don’t rush through this self-assessment, thinking you know exactly what’s wrong with you. Your physical symptoms are manifestations of the effects of certain types of energy in the body, and they can be totally unrelated to what you think causes them. For example, not all weight problems are due to overeating, lack of exercise and other lifestyle factors. If you have become accustomed to being stressed all the time, or even a little depressed, you might not notice it anymore because you’re become desensitized – but the effects on your body remain!
Take some time to feel the energy spinning in the chakra and the vibrancy of that chakra’s color. If it intuitively feels sluggish, or the energy doesn’t feel like it’s spinning but moving erratically; and if the color seems dim or muted, that chakra is blocked. You can also refer to a chakra chart to refresh in your mind which chakras are associated with which aspect of your health, and take note of any noticeable physical symptoms. Then, add your mental, emotional and spiritual state to the mix. Blockages in the chakras affect you on so many levels, so take your time identifying where you are struggling.
2. Healing. You are essentially getting to the root of the problem; instead of focusing on healing the physical symptoms, you are focused on healing from within by getting rid of the cause. Then, your syymptoms will subside on their own!
- First, empty your mind of all negative energy – thoughts, emotions, ideas… and fill it with positive thoughts, emotions and ideas. Visualization helps tremendously. Visualize yourself in perfect health and that includes emotionally, mentally and spiritually as well as physically! Just visualize yourself as calm, happy, centered, open, connected… amplify any feeling that feels joyful and avoid giving energy to the negative feelings.
- Next, visualize each chakra, one by one. Visualize energy moving easily through the chakra as it spins freely. Visualize this energy entering each cell in your body – imagine it as love and light, powerful and energizing – and imagine that energy intensifying each cell’s innate creative intelligence and self-healing capacity.
- As you imagine the chakras opening, imagine a total release of negative energy in your body. As you imagine each cell being filled with light and love, where do the dark energies go? Well, they leave your energy field – so imagine your whole body filling with light. No more negativity!
After doing this, you will feel calm and joyful. Your mind will be clear and your emotions positive. Most of us have layers and layers of accumulated energies of past emotional hurts, so it may take time to peel these layers away one by one and clear the chakras affected by those hurts. Keep at it – you will see positive results!
Are you serious about personal development? Click on the banner below to download the FREE Silva Starter Kit